Wednesday, October 24, 2007

ECOMMERCE STRATEGY 9 – What's Your Favorite Color?

I like buying stuff from Victoria's Secret store a lot. I either visit their brick and mortar store in Texas or browse on their ecommerce web site. One thing I appreciate about VS is that although they don't employ the best web site design, they allow me to see the dresses that I prefer in various colors. They do this by letting me click on the color patch. Then the model's dress changes to that shade that I have picked.

If you cannot provide this ability for your customers to see the outfits (or any product) in the colors that they pick, there's a high likelihood that they will not buy. I would say this is where employing this type of shopping flexibility becomes handy for your ecommerce web site. If you can't work this tactic, a customer might just abandon the shopping cart halfway.

So take notes. Victoria's Secret is well known for classy, sexy, and affordable outfits for women. Their ecommerce web site may not be the most impressive (their models are, of course), but they allow me to see the dresses that I like in my favorite colors. This is a huge convenience if I'm not able to visit their landbased retail store on a stormy day in the Lone Star state!

No comments: